Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
March 24, 2014
Super 60 Showdown Recap
On Saturday afternoon, several of the top players in North Carolina made their way to Quality Education Academy in Winston Salem to face off against each other and to be part of the Super 60 Showdown.
Several players stood out Saturday afternoon; certainly ones that people could hear and watch later down in the future. Players were put into six different teams and each team played three games, having to switch off throughout the game, playing 20 minute halves.
Here is my list of players that impressed in Winston Salem, as NCPreps breaks down the event.
Dennis Smith Jr
Point Guard - 6'2"/ 160lbs
Trinity Christian - 2016
- Smith was the one of the top stars that people came out to see on the court Saturday afternoon and showed why he could move up the rankings with his athletic ability and guard play. He was able to show why he could be the top point guard in North Carolina as he hit his teammates for open shots, showed his three point shooting ability, his leaping ability as he soared to the rim past his defender, and how he can step up and play defense. Smith just showed his overall game throughout the afternoon and is one of the top names in his class.
Center - 6'9"/ 200lbs
Quality Education Academy - 2016
- N'Diaye came out early Saturday afternoon to show why he is a talent to watch. In the first game Saturday, he came out and showed that he can be a big presence down low with his rebounding and defense, while also being able to display his ability on the offensive end of the floor. N'Diaye looks to be a big that can spread the floor, as he is capable of hitting an outside shot, as far as the three point line. He has good size and length and has good hands for a big guy, as he showed that when attacking the rim and pushing the ball up the court at times.
Point Guard - 6'5"/ 175lbs
EE Smith - 2017
- Smith could have been the one most talked about Saturday, being only a freshman, but showing his true athletic ability with his rim rattling dunks and college like body already. Smith attacks the basket and looks to put on a show when he does, as he easily could be a name to watch early for the class of 2017. He still looks to develop a consistent shot, as he was bothered at times with his outside jumper, but the athletic ability alone will bring programs to watch him.
Power Forward - 6'8"/ 220lbs
Hough - 2015
- Maye, who has several offers already, really brought it Saturday afternoon with his hustle play. Maye has always been known for his ability to spread the floor at the power forward position and he did just that, as he knocked down shots behind the arc and also showed his soft hands around the boards. Even though at times he can be outmatched down low, he uses his hands very well to keep the ball alive. He also ran the floor better than any big man Saturday afternoon.
Small Forward - 6'3"/ 200lbs
Apex - 2016
- Boyd, who just came off a championship run for Apex, is only a sophomore and used his big body to get to the rim. This was the second time watching him in a few weeks and it seems like he is one to watch. As mentioned above, he has a big body for a guard which he uses to attack the rim, something he likes to do. He has a nice outside shot also, but likes to attack more seemingly to the rim. If he develops a consistent jumper and pull-up, he certainly could be a name that could rise in North Carolina, especially only being a sophomore.
Power Forward - 6'4"/ 205lbs
Kinston - 2015
- Dunn is another player I have seen a couple of times for Kinston and this kid is just a consistent basketball player. Dunn works hard at both ends of the floor and is a player that doesn't hurt you on the floor with his play. He has very good size and can play several positions. Would certainly put him in a category of players that can come off the bench and provide positive minutes; a do-it-all kind of player at the next level.
Point Guard - 5'11"/ 167lbs
Flora MacDonald Acadmey - 2015
- Patterson is an interesting prospect, as I really saw a true pass first kind of point guard that some programs look for. He showed that he had great handles and can really push the ball up the court, looking for his teammates with zip on the ball. He really stood out on Saturday with his ability to control the ball and push it up the court.
Point Guard - 6'2"/ 165lbs
United Faith - 2016
- Gadsden, who has an offer from Charlotte, is another point guard that stood out Saturday. He is a guard that doesn't let anything really frustrate him or speed him up. He takes his time and he says he is always looking for his teammates; he enjoys passing the ball. Gadsden, even though a young guy in the class of 2016, still has room to grow and develop, but has the intangibles to be a good point guard at the next level.
Point Guard - 5'10"/ 130lbs
Greenfield School - 2016
This lengthy point guard was another that stood out, as several times he displayed his ability to go one on one against a defender, usually getting by them off the dribble. With his length and speed, he showed his ability to attack the rim off the bounce and his athletic ability was on display when he did.
Point Guard - 5'8"/ 150lbs
Garner Magnet - 2015
- The guard from Garner has been seen quite a few times and even though he is a smaller guard, he knows how to play his position. He has several different ways to get to the basket and put points up on the board, whether it is pushing the tempo, shooting the outside shot, or getting to the rim. Barnes is certainly an underrated guard at times but is a solid player at his position.
Point Guard - 6'0"/ 120lbs
Panther Creek - 2016
Even though an under sized guard, Munoz showed his quickness on the court. Several times he made plays on the defensive end, stealing the ball and running the point on the court. He also showed his shooting ability from behind the arc, as he drained several threes. Munoz is certainly an underrated player and could be a sleeper from Panther Creek in the class of 2016.
North Carolina NEWS